CPA responds to the Queen's Speech
11 May 2021
Reacting to today’s Queen’s Speech Kathy Roberts, Chair of the Care Provider Alliance, the collective body of adult social care trade associations, said:
“The pandemic has elevated the profile of social care and its vital role in the UK’s health and care system. In the last year we have seen collaboration and dedication to support those people who draw on care services by care providers, the care workforce, regulators and commissioners.
“This Queen’s Speech was a good opportunity for the government to make good its promise to ‘fix social care’.
“While we acknowledge the repeated commitment to reform in today’s speech, we urge government to bring forward active plans to not only seek closer integration with health and care, but to ensure a long-term, sustainable funding agreement for the sector.
“Social care reform must remain front and centre of the government’s priorities to provide a forward-looking picture of how services should be delivered now and, in the future, not just restructuring the current ways of working.
“Short term sector support from central government has been very welcome, but it does not go far enough. We need a longer-term plan that harnesses the legislative powers within the Care Act to truly work towards recovery and a sustainable future.”
Follow CPA and our members’ responses to the Queen’s Speech on Twitter at @CPA_SocialCare
Note to Editors§
- The Care Provider Alliance (CPA) brings together the 10 main national associations, which represent independent and voluntary adult social care providers in England. We work to represent the sector and ensure a coordinated response to the major issues that affect it.
- The CPA bring together the ten national associations, which represent private, voluntary and community sector providers. We speak for the whole of the adult social care sector including care homes, home care services, Shared Lives schemes and retirement communities.
- CPA members cover almost 10,000 organisations, employ over 600,000 staff and support an estimated 1 million people.
- For more information on the Care Provider Alliance visit About us
- Media contact: Edna Petzen, email@example.com 07397 158596